Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Shut Down Telemarketers

It's funny how much telemarketers are hated. As well they should be. I, actually, at one time was a telemarketer for a good minute. I made pretty good money at it. The first business I worked for was a total scam, I mean not necessarily a scam but they did a shitty job. It was for carpet cleaning. We called rich people and old people. It was so wrong. Looking back I feel bad about it. There would be about 10 (give or take) of us and we'd sit around with about 15 pages of phone numbers and cold call for a good 4 hours or more. The second company arose from the first one who went under because our boss and his girlfriend (our manager) were on major speed and eventually couldn't keep it together.* They skipped town after all their furniture had been repo'd. Anyway, the second company was a good business for the most part. Telemarketing was easy excepting for cringing when you had to call a house over and over again because they suppossedly weren't there the evening before (or so their "nanny" said). It was also hell catching someone during dinner. I definetly got an earfull on numerous occasions. I don't know why I never really got a better job. I guess I was just comfortable there. We just sat and smoked cigarrettes and talked on the phone. Good money too.

Anyway, don't know why I just wrote all that. I usually forget about me being a telemarketer. That was my gig for about a year I guess. All right, so, telemarketing, right. As of September of this year, telemarketers are now allowed to call your cell phone. These calls will not only be annoying but for those that do not have unlimited minutes, they are using your minutes as well. And we know telemarketers call repeatedly. The good news is that you can register for free on the National Do Not Call Registry. Your home and/or your cell. Gratis! It takes less than two minutes to register (probably faster if you're not on dial-up). They send you an email confirmation and you just have to verify your info through email within 72 hours of registering. And viola! *hopefully* no calls...for 5 years! You can also register complaints about unwanted phone soliciting on the same website. The link is at the top y'all**. And here it is again just incase it's not up top... www.donotcall.gov ***



*not to mention everyone but me would go to the back and huff free-on when we had our lunch or dinner breaks. yeah, that was a bit uncomfortable for me. especially the first time i was asked to go back there, i was just kinda like, "um, yeah, thanks but no thanks".

**so i just figured out that if you click on the title of this post, it should direct you straight to the link. you guys probably already knew that, but just in case.

***please tell me why my link button doesn't appear on my computer! this is getting old!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home