Sunday, August 28, 2005

Hurricane Katrina

Mean, vengeful bitch.

Please keep New Orleans in your thoughts and prayers. I have been so anxious by this hurricane. I can't even fathom these people that are filling up the Superdome with no other option, no place to go. The Superdome arena floor is supposed to flood while the people are up in the stands. They may be stuck there for 2 days. The flooding is going to smell horrendous, there is no air conditioning or running water, limited bathroom usage, people are going to smell and food, water and supplies are at the bare minimum, if that. Then there are people that are other places, no rental cars, all flights cancelled, traffic backed up to forever and a day...then there's the bridge that touches no land for about 12 miles that has bumper to bumper traffic on it headed to Mississippi. The hurricane water rise will be in over 20 feet, not to mention the pounding of the waves creating catastrophic damage to the city. New Orleans is such a beautiful city. The streets may be flooded up to 15 feet for up to 2 weeks. This is all stuff I have just gathered and I am not sure of the accuracy but whatever the facts are, this may be the biggest hurricane we will see in our lifetime.

I have been to New Orleans a total of eight times, so for that reason this is making my heart even hurt more. I love that city so much. I have so many great memories from galavanting all over that place. The architecture, the gardens, the levy, the distinct discricts, the restaurants, the people, the New Orleans culture...everything about that place makes it so special. New Orleans has characteristics that go from one extreme to the other...it is so ecclectic. It is so historic and has such a soul that really cannot be compared to any other city in the United States.

I pray that somehow this city stands strong in the eye of this terrifying nightmare.

I guess now I will try and do my homework while keeping an eye on the television. It has inspired some of my work that I have to create for my 2-D art homework. She is supposed to hit early morning tomorrow, I guess we'll just hold tight and think good thoughts.

2 Comments:

At Mon Aug 29, 10:14:00 AM , Blogger ramblin' girl said...

I really hope New Orleans comes out of this alright as well. one of my favorite cities, a good friend from college grew up there, and her parents still live there.

 
At Thu Sep 08, 05:24:00 AM , Blogger NOLAPete said...

Thanks for your concern. I'm out of there and doing ok considering. Keep in touch. Best wishes.

Pete

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home