Saturday, July 02, 2005

Has Hell Frozen Over?

MTV is actually playing music! This weekend is "Live 8". I guess this is something like Live Aide from many years ago. It's great and all that they are airing international music and giving speeches on the sick, poor and dying in Africa. BUT, is this really reaching the masses? Yes, it's on MTV but you know how the kids are probably reacting...

scenario 1: "oh god, that live 8 thing is on aaallll weekend. let's go hit the pool or something. i can listen to this stuff on my ipod while i'm laying out, ya know, without all the death talk and stuff."

scenario 2: "live 8 is on this weekend. brad pitt just made an appearance, his hair looks sooo good dyed platinum blonde! what is he talking about anyway? brad, please turn around so we can check out your butt! maybe he'll bring angelina on stage!"

I don't know, maybe, hopefully it'll have some impact. But when I see Brad Pitt giving a speech about 30,000 people dying everyday in Africa and the crowd is screaming for him, not "the cause", I'm not so hopeful.

I think I'm being a little harsh. Maybe, maybe not. I think this is all because of the G8 Summit and bringing attention to the poverty and sickness plaguing Africa. Or is it just a good excuse for celebrities and "musicians" alike to look like they are "aware"?

1 Comments:

At Sun Jul 03, 09:09:00 PM , Blogger j. said...

true enough, dewey.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home